Feminist criticism is a political act whose aim is not simply to interpret the world but to change it by changing the consciousness of those who read and their relation to what they read.

-Judith Fetterley

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The First of Many.

My name is Becca and I am an English major. I am looking for, researching, and trying to find out more about women in literature. As a college student, I am learning to analyze things using different lenses. When learning about feminist criticism I was very intrigued and wanted to learn more, so when I had to choose a topic for my English paper I wanted to explore not only feminist criticism, but women in literature in general. In this blog, I want to look at the journey that women have taken in order to be where they are today and what lies in the future of women writing.
I want to look at specific feminist authors, popular literary works that have underlying feminist tones, and eventually look at different criticisms that came from feminist criticism, such as queer theory, gay and lesbian criticism, African American criticism, and lastly, gender criticism, to name a few. In the research we will find the impact that women had on literature and initially had on what we read and how we read our literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment